When it comes to social media challenges, we have sure seen them! The Ice Bucket Challenge, the Dance for Diabetes challenge and the Paint it Purple for Domestic Abuse Challenge all served to generate awareness and donations for specific needs, and they served their purposes beautifully. This new challenge, though, is just for some much-needed fun, and it’s serving its purpose, too.
The Mannequin Challenge! You may not be as familiar with it, but country stars as big as Garth Brooks, who froze an entire band and audience for his challenge, is doing it. And Thomas Rhett’s new video basically goes in and out of mannequin mode.
But not everyone that is jumping on the Mannequin Challenge bandwagon is a youngster, as we learned when the 91-year-old Grand Ole Opry shared its own version of the challenge. And as impressive as Garth’s arena-sized video is, wait until you see this insider’s glimpse of backstage at the Opry.
Look closely, though. These aren’t actors or doubles. This was actually shot backstage at the Opry. As the camera weaves in and out, you can see some of country music’s greatest legends, along with a few of the format’s hottest young rising stars. Some are iconic and others are a little less familiar. It’s like a game of I Spy!
Can you name all of the artists featured in this fun moment frozen in time? OK… watch it, then watch it again and write down everyone you see. We have all the names below (in order of appearance):
- Marty Stuart
- Brothers Osborne’s TJ Osborne
- Norah Lee Allen of the Opry singers (and Oak Ridge Boys’ Duane Allen’s wife)
- Ben Isaac of The Isaacs grabbing a selfie with some friends
- Pete Fisher of the Grand Ole Opry
- Billy Cody of WSM at his podium
- Mega-hit songwriter Luke Laird on guitar (“Diamond Rings and Old Bar Stools” and “Undo It”)
- Mega-hit songwriter Lori McKenna at the mic (“Humble and Kind” and “Girl Crush”)
- John Conlee in his rose-colored glasses – look close, he’s back in the shadows.