A man in Australia is probably asking “Why me?” after he suffered another spider bite to his genitals just months after an earlier bite.
BBC reported that the 21-year-old Australian man, identified only as Jordan, said he was using a portable toilet at a Sydney-area worksite when he felt a pain in his genitals. “I’m the most unlucky guy in the country at the moment,” he said. “I was sitting on the toilet doing my business and just felt the sting that I felt the first time. I was like, ‘I can’t believe it’s happened again.’ I looked down and (I saw) a few little legs come from around the rim.”
Mashable that a “highly venomous” redback spider bit Jordan in the same spot in April. He said this was the first time since the previous incident that he had used the portable toilet and he checked to make sure everything was clear.
“After the first time it happened, I didn’t really want to use one again,” he told the BBC. “Toilets got cleaned that day and I thought it was my opportunity to go use one. Had a look under both seats and then I sat down and did my business. Next thing you know, I’m bent over in pain.”
While Jordan said his co-workers were worried about him the first time, he told KIIS FM that they found it truly comical the second time. “(They were) just laughing at me, pretty much. They remembered me from the last time it happened,” he said. “Everyone was laughing at me, calling me the unluckiest man in Australia.”
According to the BBC, redback spiders are similar to black widow spiders, but have not caused any recorded deaths since the development of antivenin in 1956 and cause only severe pain, sweating and nausea. Jordan said that he was released from the hospital and expects to return to work soon, but plans to avoid the portable toilet from now on.
“I think I’ll be holding on for dear life, to be honest,” he told BBC.