My children are only 2 and 4 years old, but it’s never too early to start implementing good habits.
I strongly believe that you should make your children work for you. These are basically free employees. And I have a great hack for getting kids to think cleaning is fun.
I use painter’s tape to make a small box on the floor, and then I ask my children to sweep all the crumbs on the floor into the box. I even bought a child-size broom at the big-box store that shall remain nameless so they don’t have to struggle with the grownups’ cleaning supplies.
Offering a little incentive for a job well done can’t hurt. Tyson played the role of my child in this video, and I rewarded him with his favorite treat — a Hershey bar.
More cleaning tips and tricks from Elissa the Mom:
- How to degrease kitchen cabinets in seconds
- Refresh your toilet with essential oil
- How to rid your towels of mildew
- Vinegar and an old sock can make your window blinds look like new
- How to make your own disinfecting wipes
- Use ammonia to clean your filthy burners
- These special ice cubes freshen a stinky garbage disposal
- Spritz this DIY shower spray every day to avoid mildew buildup
Watch new videos from Elissa the Mom every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!