I absolutely love these caramel apple hand pies. So does Tyson, but he hates the phrase “hand pie.” He thinks it discriminates against people who don’t have hands, and he insisted I call them “apple pies on the go.”
So — today, I’m going to show you how to make apple pies on the go.
These pies are so small, they fit in the palm of your hand (hence the name “hand pie,” Tyson), and that means you don’t need to feel guilty about reaching for a second one.
You will need:
- 4 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 caramel squares (or more if you really love caramel)
- ¼ cup sugar + more for sprinkling
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Egg wash
- Refrigerated pie crust
You’ll also need a round cookie cutter that at least three inches in diameter. As you may remember from my mini pumpkin pie video, I don’t own a round cookie cutter, so I use a drinking glass.
I’m a firm believer that everything tastes better in a pie crust. You could put a booger in a pie crust, and it would be delicious. OK, maybe that’s a stretch — but you know what I mean.
More delicious Elissa the Mom recipes that use pie crusts
- Chocolate candy pie, perfect for Halloween leftovers
- The classic Southern tomato pie
- Patriotic strawberry and blueberry pie, made with Stars and Stripes
- The easiest pumpkin pie you’ll ever make
- Dinnertime Pop-Tarts stuffed with beef and cheese
- Throw your leftover holiday ham into a quick and tasty quiche
Watch new videos from Elissa the Mom every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!