Upgrade your favorite quiche recipe by adding a crust made from grits.
That’s right — take a one-dish breakfast to the next level by mixing your grits right in. Bacon grease, milk and cheese go into the grits as you cook them on the stove top, which makes the crust super flavorful.
After the grits are cooked, pour them into a springform pan and bake for 25 minutes to set the crust. Then mix up your quiche as you normally would and bake it on top of the grits for around an hour.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 6 thick bacon slices
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
See all the steps in this fun video and find the full recipe from Southern Living on MyRecipies.