Article will continue after advertisement

HARRISBURG, Pa. — A 3-year-old girl died from injuries caused from a fire sparked by a recharging hoverboard, investigators said.

Ashanti Hughes, 3, was pronounced dead Saturday at an area hospital, the Lehigh County Coroner’s Office said.

The family heard sizzling and cracking from the board and an electrical outlet before the fire started Friday, according to PennLive.

One person jumped from a second-floor window. Three other people were rescued by ladder.

RELATED: A Florida man said he wanted to “run the Arabs out of of our country” after allegedly setting a convenience store on fire


“And it’s all because of a hoverboard — just a hoverboard,” Charles Dominick, who was at his brother’s home Saturday, told PennLive. “A family as good as them, they don’t deserve this. They really don’t.”

Sales of hoverboards were banned after the machines’ unstable battery configuration were believed to be the cause of fires.

“We would ask if you are using these things and they are knock-off brands, please not use them,” fire chief Brian Enterline said at a press conference Saturday. “We’ve seen too many fires and too many fire fatalities as a result of these hoverboards.”

WSB Radio |