Advertisement

If you’re afraid of snakes, you have good reason to be.

This video shows what happens when viper snake venom comes in contact with your blood, and it’s not pretty. The person who posted this video was working on something unrelated and came across this video.  That’s the power of serendipity.


Snakes really scare a lot of people, and if you’re one of them you might not want to watch this.  Two men team up to milk the venom of a Russell’s viper. The way this is done is to grab the snake right below the head to control it. The snake releases venom into a jar. Just one drop of venom is added to some human blood, which instantly coagulates. It kind of looks like tomato aspic, if you’re familiar with that delicacy.

Scientists are studying how this works, and how they can use this information for the greater good. There may be ways to use compounds from all kinds of venomous snakes to help cure diseases and to treat snakebite victims.

The Russell’s viper is one of the most dangerous snakes in the world, found mostly in Asia. The venom from this guy causes a wide variety of crazy symptoms, including pain, swelling, vomiting, dizziness, and kidney and coagulation problems. It’s also the snake species responsible for the most snakebite incidents and deaths among all venomous snakes.

Betsi Fores About the author:
Betsi Fores is the managing editor for Rare. Follow her on Twitter @ejfores.
View More Articles
Vote for the 2017 Rare Country Awards
Advertisement
Advertisement