President Obama hasn’t revealed his post-White House employment plans, apart from saying he’ll work with the National Redistricting Committee, which hopes to overhaul America’s system of legislative redistricting. But during a recent conversation with former Swedish ambassador Mark Brzezinski at the White House, he reportedly quipped, “I’m still waiting for my job at Spotify… ‘Cause I know y’all loved my playlist!”
After hearing about President Obama’s joke, Spotify responded by creating a job just for him and posting it on their employment page.
The company’s CEO, Daniel Ek, notified Obama via Twitter that the company had a possible job opening, writing, “Hey @BarackObama, I heard you were interested in a role at Spotify. Have you seen this one?”
The position is for President of the Playlists, and it has some very specific requirements, including having “at least eight years experience running a highly-regarded nation” and “someone with good team spirit, excellent work ethic, a friendly and warm attitude, and a Nobel Peace Prize.”
The company even managed to throw in a jab at President-elect Trump by pointing out the job applicant must “Analyze data and performance of playlists in a clear and transparent manner using all available intelligence. Attend daily briefings.”
We think the position would be perfect for President Obama, who’s been sharing his personal Spotify playlists since 2015, if his dream of putting together an NBA team doesn’t work out.
Check out the full position description below:
What you’ll do:
- Provide world-class leadership to our playlist editors and supporting staff.
- Identify and substantiate new playlist ideas, e.g. from a playlist for shooting hoops with your friends, to the perfect warm up playlist for addressing the nation about health care legislation that bears your name.
- Analyze data and performance of playlists in a clear and transparent manner using all available intelligence. Attend daily briefings.
- Celebrate our diversity of playlists, from Viva Latino (3.4 million followers) to Rap Caviar (5.3 million followers).
Who you are:
- Have at least eight years experience running a highly-regarded nation.
- Familiar with the Spotify platform, with experience in programming playlists at a federal level. Anything from an eclectic summer playlist, to a celebratory, “I just found my birth certificate” playlist.
- Have good relationships with a wide range of artists and musicians. Ever had Kendrick Lamar play at your birthday bash? We’d love to hear about it!
- Can speak passionately about playlists at press events. Let us be clear, you should be nothing short of one of the greatest speakers of all time.
- A keen attention to detail and consistency. Able to work closely with other departments, so playlists can hold up to public scrutiny.
- Someone with good team spirit, excellent work ethic, a friendly and warm attitude, and a Nobel Peace Prize.