Article will continue after advertisement

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced last week that a new high school ill be built in President Obama’s name on the site of a former public-housing project.

According to WGN, Barack Obama Preparatory High School will be paid in part by $60 million in Tax Increment Financing(TIF). The school will be selective with 70 percent of it’s students needing to be among the city’s top-performing students to attend. The other 30 percent will be made upĀ of young men and women from the surrounding neighborhoods.

The school will sit on the site of the former Cabrini-Green housing complex, a housing complex that became famous for nearby gang members firing guns into the air every New Year’s Eve. The complex was racked by gang activity and crime until it was demolished several years ago.

Some will remember Cabrini-Green as the setting for the rape and torture of “Girl X” in the late 1990s.

In the last 15 years, efforts have been made to turn the surrounding neighborhood into a more prosperous community.