This could have turned out so much worse.
A 13-year-old boy was sent 70 feet in the air when a ride malfunctioned at the Georgia County Fair. Brayden Cooper reported that he was sitting aboard the Zipper, ready for an exhilarating experience, when the door to the car he was in flew open. “When it started going up the cage flew open. The cage door flew open,” he said.
That was only the beginning of the problems Cooper experienced on the ride. Once the door had flown open, Cooper found himself at the height of the ride when the harness that was supposed to secure him safely to his seat came undone, sending him flying out of the ride. “We were yelling ‘stop.’ To stop the ride and that’s when my harness just came open,” he said.
Cooper’s father reportedly saw what was going on and raced over. “At that point I immediately jumped over the fence in an attempt to try and catch him if something went wrong,” he explained.
Thankfully attendants quickly stopped the ride and a fair worker rescued Brayden.
According to WSBTV, state inspectors gave the ride a green light the day before it malfunctioned.