Very few horror fans become horror fans without, at some point, experiencing the masterful works of one of the greatest writers in American Literature, Edgar Allan Poe. Now, another master of Horror, writer/director Mike Flanagan (Haunting of Hill House, Midnight Mass), is taking on a project to revive the nostalgia of the weird macabre that is from the mind of Poe.
Filming for The Fall of the House of Usher began January of this year and is moving towards a 2022 release date as a Netflix Original series of ten episodes.
Written by Edgar Allan Poe, The Fall of the House of Usher was first published in 1839 in Burton’s Gentleman’s Magazine. The short story was then included in Poe’s collection of published short stories in the book Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque.
The longline released by Netflix reads like this: The drama is based on multiple works from Edgar Allan Poe, it features themes of madness, family, isolation, and metaphysical identities. The Fall of the House of Usher is narrated by a man who has been invited to visit his childhood friend Roderick Usher. Usher gradually makes clear that his twin sister Madeline has been placed in the family vault not quite dead. When she reappears in her blood-stained shroud, the visitor rushes to leave as the entire house splits and sinks into a lake.
Flanagan has become known as the new king of horror by many for his works in feature films, as well as his Netflix original series The Haunting of Hill House, the Haunting of Bly Manner, and Midnight Mass.
Flanagan is well known for working with crews on multiple projects, from his cinematographers to the lead actors. Here is a list of the cast for the upcoming series and where they’ve performed in Flanagan’s body of work:
• Carla Gugino (Lead in Gerald’s Game, played Olivia Crain in Hill House, Older Jamie in Bly Manor, and a very brief appearance in Midnight Mass)
• Kate Siegel (Erin Greene in Midnight Mass, Viola in Bly Manor and Theodora Crain in Hill House)
• Zach Gilford (Riley Flynn in Midnight Mass. Will also appear in Flanagan’s There’s Something Wrong with the Children)
• Annabeth Gish (Dr. Sarah Gunning in Midnight Mass, Mrs. Dudley in Hill House)
• Henry Thomas (Ed Flynn in Midnight Mass, Henry Wingrave in Bly Manor. Also appeared in Gerald’s Game and Doctor Sleep)
• Samantha Sloyan (Bev Keane in Midnight Mass, Leigh Crain in Hill House)
• Rahul Kohli (Sheriff Hassan in Midnight Mass, Owen in Bly Manor)
• Michael Trucco (Wade in Midnight Mass)
• T’Nia Miller (Hannah Grose in Bly Manor
Horror fans are hungry for fresh scares and Flanagan’s handprint on this nostalgic piece of literature will certainly give fans something to sink their teeth into.
James Baxter is the author of Amazon best selling horror series Hauntings, a freelance journalist and blogger. USAF Veteran.
You can read more from James on his site, JamesBaxterInk.com.