When I announced I wanted to make a classic Southern tomato pie, Tyson’s response was, “That sounds nasty.”
But after one bite, he had to eat those words — along with a big ol’ slice of pie.
If you’ve never tasted this dish, you’re in for a real treat.
You will need:
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh herbs
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- Himalayan sea salt
- Pie crust (store-bought or homemade — your choice!)
Did you know: An heirloom tomato is a variety that has been passed down from generation to generation of a family because of desirable characteristics.
What’s your favorite Southern recipe?
Elissa the Mom’s favorite dishes that are served in pie crusts
- Patriotic strawberry and blueberry pie with a stars and stripes crust
- The world’s easiest pumpkin pie
- Ham and cheese quiche, perfect for Easter leftovers
Watch new videos from Elissa the Mom every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!