Who doesn’t love a hot, cheesy bowl of French onion soup?
If you want to make your own version at home (and make your entire kitchen smell like onions), try this super easy and delicious version.
Best of all, when you make the soup yourself, you can customize the amount of cheese that goes on top. (Remember, there’s no such thing as too much cheese!)
You will need:
- 4 cups onions, sliced
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 baguette
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese, diced
- 4 cups beef broth
Did you know: French onion soup is peasant food! In 18th century France, laborers often ate it because onions were plentiful and affordable, and because the soup was hearty enough to stay with them all day.
More of Elissa the Mom’s favorite soups
- Rich and hearty baked potato soup that’s made in a slow cooker
- End-of-summer gazpacho
- Spicy tortilla soup made with leftover rotisserie chicken
- Throw your ham bone in this tasty soup
- Easy Crock-Pot meatball vegetable soup
- Another slow cooker favorite — turkey taco soup
Watch new videos from Elissa the Mom every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!