Melissa d'Arabian via AP
How sweet it is to know October 28 is National Chocolate Day and December 16 is National Chocolate-Covered-Anything Day.
Savor these seven chocolate facts today.
- Chocolate is made from roasted cocoa beans. They can be found in Central American rainforests.
- Ancient cultures used to roast the beans and then mash them into a paste to mix with water and other spices.
- Originally, chocolate was a delicacy only the ruling class could afford.
- When the conquistadors came looking for silver and gold, some returned to Spain with chocolate instead. You could use cocoa beans as currency.
- By the 1800s, chocolate was so popular that it was available nearly all around the world, but only to the wealthy.
- Johannes van Houten invented a chocolate press that allowed chocolate to be affordably mass produced.
- In 1847, the first chocolate bar — a simple mixture of cocoa powder, cocoa butter and sugar — was created.