You ate them as children, you enjoyed them as teenagers, you lived off them in college and you just can’t seem to escape them in adulthood. I’m talking about the one, the only, the grilled cheese sandwich.
Single slice, double, tomato or bacon.. there is no way to eat it incorrectly.
There is more to this beloved sandwich that you may know. Check out these fun facts about this cheesy dish.
1. April 12 is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day.
2. Several French cheeses, such as Morbier, Tomme and Roquefort, are banned from the U.S.
3. The ancient Romans were the first civilization to make a cooked bread and cheese-type sandwich.
4. The most popular additions to a grilled cheese sandwich are bacon, ham and tomato.
5. The world record for eating grilled cheese is 47 sandwiches in 10 minutes.