It’s a Southern favorite, but who says it only needs to be eaten by people living in Dixie?
Thanks to Southern Living, everyone can now enjoy a classic buttermilk pie. It couldn’t be easier to make, especially when you use a pre-made crust.
Enjoying this dish on a beautiful wraparound porch isn’t required — but if you have that option, we envy you!
You will need:
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, loosely packed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crust (if you want to make one yourself)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold shortening, cubed
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
Garnish each slice of pie with berries, whipped cream and fresh mint. Get the full recipe here.