If you’re single and currently mingling, you already know that dating in the modern world is hard. With the countless apps and dating websites available, it can feel a little overwhelming. And don’t even get us started on the possibility of being “catfished” by your online suitors.
If you’ve been on a lot of first dates, but not so many second ones, we may have the answer to your dating dilemma: baby showers. Yes, you read that correctly.
We promise it’s not impossible to find love — you may just have to step outside your comfort zone at unusual locations.
READ ALL OF RARE’S LOVE STORIES: on.rare.us/love-stories
Raj Prashad and Liz Hobbs have proven that love can appear in some pretty unexpected places. While these two individuals were celebrating the future birth of their mutual friend’s baby, they locked eyes from across the room, and it was an instant connection.
Raj explained that it was the first baby shower he was ever invited to, and he wasn’t too sure what he was getting himself into:
“I didn’t think guys got invited to baby showers, so I was pretty surprised when I got invited to my coworker’s baby shower. I actually had tickets to a Braves game that day too, and I was on the fence about even going to the shower. I look back now, and I’m just so thankful that I made the choice to go.”
When Raj walked into the baby shower, Liz immediately had her target set:
“I didn’t know who he was, but as soon as he walked in, I wanted to know. I thought he was so cute!”
Liz made the first move and introduced herself. Their conversation was flirty and playful at first, but later took a more serious tone when the two discussed their personal views on controversial topics. They had the same sense of humor and similar beliefs, so it was smooth sailing from there, right?
Well, not so much. Liz was obviously interested in Raj, but wanted to put him to the test:
“We had this great conversation, and then she just walked away and started talking to other people. I was so confused, but also really interested in this girl. She was very intelligent, really funny, and a very pretty girl. I did my best to get her attention the rest of the baby shower, but she was just not giving me the time of day.”
Liz knew exactly what she was doing. She didn’t want to come on too strong and pulled the classic “playing hard to get” card. Her mind games proved successful when she received a text from Raj the next day. And the rest is history for this happy couple.
Raj has a little advice to bachelors who get invited to a baby shower:
“Guys, if you’re single and you get invited to a baby shower, you’re already halfway there.”
More love stories
- Kellie & DC: 17 years in prison passed, and a lifetime of love awaits
- Amanda & Kerry: God brought them together; family keeps them strong
- Lewinale & Oliver: Finding love while pursuing the American Dream
- Mark & Justin: He walked into Nordstrom and it was love at first sight
- Vicki & Nasir: Widow finds true love for the second time
- Rachel & Tim: He surprised her with her own pregnancy
- Stephen & Michael: When he won over his dog, he also won his heart
- Meg & Brett: Tragedy delayed their wedding, but it couldn’t stop their love
- Sierra & Walnan: Language barriers can’t stop true love
- Meredith & Trent: Beer lovers toast to true love
- Carly & Tony: True love can hatch when you least expect it
- Sarah & Walt: Love goes to the highest bidder
- Connie & Mike: Pastors by day, sex gurus by night, husband and wife for all time
- Sara & Schmitty: These coaches’ best victory was finding each other
- Virginia & Eric: Homeless couple beats the odds and finds happily ever after
- Siana & Alex: Continents can’t separate these globetrotting soulmates
- Jaquie & Andy: Paralyzed bride was determined to walk down the aisle
- Josh & Joey: It took 3 days to say “I love you,” and that love just keeps growing
- Angie & Craig: Outdoor enthusiasts take a shot at love
- Stephanie & Kaung: Love can’t be contained by comic book margins
- Laura & Scott: An Instagram “like” leads to true love