If you’ve noticed your metabolism slowing down, it could be a natural thing that comes with age, but your metabolism may also be in need of a reset.
Your metabolic rate is affected by factors like age, gender, and the amount of exercise you get each day. It’s not uncommon to have your metabolic rate speed up and slow throughout the day based on food intake, but sometimes even your baseline can get out of whack, too! When that happens, your metabolism becomes confused, so it stores food as fat, whether you eat too much or too little.
Luckily, you can reset it following these simple steps:
- Keep activity and food intake consistent by creating a plan
- Don’t just eat less — eat nutrient dense foods like salmon, kale, garlic, and potatoes
- Eat foods with a high water content like broccoli, cauliflower, and eggplant
- Keep eating carbs, but in moderation
- Manage your stress
- Get at least seven hours of sleep a night
- Drink at least five pints of water per day