As a mom, how do you deal with the constant noise?
I used to yell. For the longest time, I yelled at my kids to be quiet. Then, I realized that trying to fight yelling with yelling wasn’t working.
Videos by Rare
Videos by Rare
RELATED: Add some zen to your family’s daily routine with these kid-friendly yoga poses
Now, I just take a long, deep breath and remind myself that:
- Nobody’s dying.
- Nobody’s hurt.
- It’s just noise.
And sometimes, I take five minutes to myself. And I hide. I hide in the bathroom until I’m ready to confront the situation.
Then, I come out, and I say to my kids, “Mommy’s feeling frustrated right now, and she is about to get angry, and she doesn’t know why. I think it might be the loud noises are irritating me.”
That teaches the kids to communicate and express emotions in a healthy way. It also gives me a chance to express my insanity. Because all moms are insane in one way or another.
But I used to be a yelling maniac, and now I’m not.
More parenting wisdom from Elissa the Mom:
- Why Elissa resorts to fear to get her daughter to sleep
- Ladies, it’s time to admit that we’re all gross freaks — and there’s no shame in it
- Admit it, working moms — when you get sick, it’s like being on vacation
- Moms should be allowed to wear whatever they want
- You’re not the only grownup who’s pooped in her pants in the car
Watch new videos from Elissa the Mom every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!