They’re beloved by people the world over, but how much do we really know about elephants?
Here are 12 fun facts about these large land animals with kind hearts.
- Elephants can move backwards and forwards, but cannot trot, jump or gallop.
- Elephants are capable of human-like emotions, including sadness.
- Touching is an important form of communication among the elephant population.
- Elephants are born blind. A baby elephant can weigh up to 260 pounds.
- Elephants’ skin is so sensitive, they can feel something as light as flies on their backs.
- An elephant’s trunk can pick up the smallest items, like a single grain of rice.
- Poachers illegally kill elephants for their ivory tusks.
- Elephants love water and are great swimmers.
- Female elephants can have babies until they are 50 years old.
- Elephants’ eyes are small, and their eyesight is poor.
- Baby elephants can stand shortly after birth.
- An elephant can live as long as 70 years.
[protected-iframe id=”e557839ed8e9a39f326e39a932ca32f9-46934866-111291222″ info=”https://rumble.com/embed/u76hf.vtwv9/” width=”640″ height=”360″ frameborder=”0″ class=”rumble” allowfullscreen=””]