It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Although the idea of stuffing my face with turkey, mac and cheese and cranberry is pretty exciting, nothing beats the excitement of Black Friday shopping! Admit it, you are excited too! Who doesn’t like planning for that perfect gift, am I right? To those of you who like to see the deals early, and plan out what they want to buy, you’re in luck! BestBlackFriday.com has released a list of stores that will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, meaning you can prep ahead and take a peek before heading to the store.
Several national and regional retailers will be closed on Turkey Day, potentially boosting online sales, which is a plus for us who don’t like to wait in long lines. This year, Thanksgiving lands on Thursday, November 28, 2018, so you might want to hit up the store asap to see what their specials are.
With more stores offering online doorbusters at a similar price, it makes sense people are opting to shop online. Of course, you can always count on your favorite usual stores like Walmart, Best Buy, Macy’s, Target, and Kohls. So, feel free to head on over to Best Buy and get that TV you’ve been eyeing!
So why are these stores closed? Well, despite a tremendous opportunity to make more sales by being open on a holiday, stores opt to close for personal reasons, a common theme being family time. But that doesn’t mean the stores won’t have sales, they will most likely all be posted online, so there is still a possibility you can get numerous discounts.
Stores Closed on Thanksgiving Day:
- Army and Air Force Exchange Service
- Academy Sports and Outdoors
- Ace Hardware
- Ann Taylor
- Barnes & Noble
- Bob’s Discount Furniture
- The Container Store
- Crate & Barrel
- Fleet Farm
- Guitar Center
- Half Price Books
- Harbor Freight
- Hobby Lobby
- Home Depot
- Neiman Marcus
- Office Depot
- Pier 1
- Sam’s Club
- Sierra Trading Post
- StaplesStein Mart
- The Container Store
- TJ Maxx
- True Value
Stores Open on Thanksgiving Day
- A.C. Moore – Stores open at 6 p.m.
- Best Buy – Opens at 5 p.m.
- Bed Bath and Beyond – Opens at 5 p.m.
- CVS – 24-hour stores; other locations vary
- DSW – Some locations open at 5 p.m.
- Gamestop – Opens at 3 p.m.
- Gordmans – Open from 3 p.m. until 1 a.m.
- JCPenney – Opens at 2 p.m.
- Kmart – Opens at 6 a.m.
- Macy’s – Most stores opening at 5 p.m.
- Mattress Firm – Some stores open
- Meijer – Open, but holiday hours not announced
- New York & Company – Some locations opening at 6 p.m.
- Old Navy – Opens at 3 p.m., some locations may vary
- RiteAid – 24-hour stores; other locations vary
- Sears – Opens at 6 p.m.
- Target – Opens at 5 p.m.
- Walgreens – 24-hour stores; other locations vary
- Walmart – Opens at 6 p.m.
Editors Note: This post was updated on November 27, 2019, to update what stores will be closed on Thanksgiving day.