On ABC’s “This Week” Sunday, Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol tried to paint Senator Rand Paul as a “liberal Democrat” after Paul’s filibuster of the renewal of the Patriot Act.
But perhaps it is Kristol who has the most solid record of aligning with liberal Democrats?
Here are some positions Kristol and liberal Democrats have seen eye to eye on:
- Kristol supported President Bill Clinton’s bombing of Serbia during the Kosovo War.
- Kristol supported a ban on soft money, which eventually became the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform law.
- He has supported immigration reform, or what many Republicans consider amnesty.
- Kristol approved of Hillary Clinton’s war in Libya.
- He also supported bombing Syria in 2013 when President Obama was pushing hard for it.
- In 2012, Kristol said the GOP should be willing to raise taxes.
- Kristol urged President Obama to take a stronger stance on gun control.
- Kristol once called Hillary “the responsible Democrat who could become commander in chief in a post-9/11 world.”
- Kristol is a defender of the NSA metadata program that was expanded under President Obama.
Why has the editor of the Weekly Standard insisted so often on siding with liberal Democrats?