It’s hard to enjoy New Year’s Eve when you have two small children running around. But, I have a creative way to keep them distracted until midnight.
By the way, if you want the kids to go to bed well before the new year begins, Netflix has a brilliant solution.
If the kids are slightly older, know all of your usual tricks, and want to be part of the fun, here’s what you can do.
You will need:
- Paper lunch bags
- Paper plates
- Other things you know your kids will love
I created one bag for every hour, from 8 p.m. to midnight. The times written on the bags indicate when they should be opened. Each bag is filled with a kid-friendly activity. I chose:
- 8 p.m.: DIY s’mores kit (graham crackers, chocolate bar, marshmallows)
- 9 p.m.: Deck of cards
- 10 p.m.: Nothing (this is when the kids play hide and seek)
- 11 p.m.: All the aforementioned items — make some shakers!
- 12 a.m.: Sparkling cider and cups
Of course, you don’t have to do exactly what I do. Find something your kids will love. Get creative!
Tyson and I hope you and your family have a safe and fun New Year’s Eve, and a healthy and joyful 2018!
More family fun
- Yoga poses that kids can do
- DIY bath paints for a rainy day
- How to make huge bubbles
- An ordinary kitchen cabinet becomes a kid-friendly disco
- Bubble wrap abstract art
Watch new videos from Elissa the Mom every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!