Earlier this week, a Houston food critic saved an area restaurant from a roast, and not by his words

Screen shot of Twitter.com/@PCNHouston's post

Videos by Rare

Videos by Rare

Food critics can really roast a restaurant.

RELATED: Hoping to expand to more area locations, a popular Houston restaurant is changing its name

But Nicholas Hall, food reviewer and contributor for the Houston Press, reportedly did the opposite earlier this week, helping to save Riel from certain incineration after a fire reportedly broke out outside the Montrose eatery.

Hall said he spotted the fire driving his kids to school, when he passed by the restaurant and noticed commotion; he said he joined another bystander already stopped on the scene alerting a few people inside the building about the flames.

Hall then said he used a small fire extinguisher in his trunk to help control the fire, and a neighbor brought over stainless steel bowls of water; a man Hall said he believed to be associated with the restaurant eventually brought out a larger extinguisher.

Hall’s daughter reportedly called 911.

[protected-iframe id=”674cc4278f0042d4c19a3be7e594739a-46934866-120279019″ info=”https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FRielHouston%2Fphotos%2Fa.768132433288301.1073741827.767327933368751%2F917910384977171%2F%3Ftype%3D3&width=500″ width=”500″ height=”431″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border:none;overflow:hidden” scrolling=”no”]

According to reports, Houston fire officials saved the building from extensive damage.

RELATED: An iconic Houston restaurant has a new chef in the kitchen

Authorities said they believe the blaze began when a recycling bin outside the restaurant ignited — possibly from a pedestrian’s tossed match.

The investigation is reportedly ongoing at this time.

What do you think?

Former North Korean diplomat, defector says officers are “trained to press the button”

A woman made a poison potion to kill her husband — but then it started killing everyone around her