Elissa the Mom is teaming up with Rare partner Clark to bring you a week’s worth of quick, easy, healthy and family-friendly meals for only about $100.
As a working mom of two, I know it isn’t always easy or financially practical to make a home-cooked dinner every single night. That’s why I’m so excited to share these $20 dinners with you! They’re all simple to make, they’re reasonably healthy, and they’re totally affordable to boot.
It’s time to get messy! I’m a Southern girl, so I appreciate a good barbecue chicken sandwich, and this one is especially good.
You will need:
- Shredded chicken
- Buns (I used brioche)
- Bread and butter pickles
- Toppings of your choice — I used:
- Purple onion
- Barbecue sauce
Rotisserie chicken is cheap (especially at Costco), but for these recipes, I chose to make my own shredded chicken. I bought a ton of breasts and thighs at the grocery store and cooked them in my Crock-Pot on low for six to eight hours. If you plan to do this, be sure to add chicken broth, salt and pepper to the chicken before it cooks.
A few thoughts:
- Almost every ingredient in this dish is left over from earlier in the week. This one is definitely under $20.
- The Gorgonzola really ties this whole sandwich together, in my opinion.
- I highly recommend Sticky Fingers barbecue sauce, but you’re welcome to use whatever you’d like!
Who doesn’t love a barbecue chicken sandwich? This one takes no time at all to make, thanks to all the leftovers. And if you want to make it more toddler friendly (and I definitely do, as my kids are only 3 and 4), just deconstruct the sandwich.
1 week of dinners for $100
- Monday: Chicken spaghetti special
- Tuesday: Taco Tuesday
- Wednesday: Chicken and spinach salad
- Thursday: BBQ chicken sandwich
- Friday: Buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes
Watch new videos from Elissa the Mom every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!