An Indiana father is warning parents about the dangers of bacteria that may be lurking in your children’s juice pouch. According to Emerson Hardwick, who posted a video on social media in a Facebook post showing his findings, he found what looks like mold-like substance inside a Capri Sun pouch. Hardwick explained how he grabbed the Capri Sun juice pouch straight out of the refrigerator to give to his 3-year-old child and noticed something odd about it.
He stated he felt the amount of juice inside the pouch seemed low, but there was no hole suggesting it had spilled. The father then shook the pouch and after taking a closer look, noticed there was an unknown substance besides the typical artificial preservatives inside when he looked at the bottom of the packaging. The video of the discovery shows Hardwick cutting the pouch and pouring out the juice inside a cup, revealing “some kind of mold.” He warned parents to always check twice when it comes to sugary drinks, before giving them to their children.
Hardwick stated Kraft Foods, Capri Sun’s parent company, contacted the family the next day, going to their house to pick up the sample and Capri Sun mold to send to a lab for testing. A few days later, the company confirmed his findings, stating there was a ‘micropuncture’ in the package, allowing oxygen to enter and create the mold seen in the picture and videos.
[protected-iframe id=”a9f70bc8899ca5c2035ccb99a9feed98-46934866-140821546″ info=”https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fcameron.hardwick%2Fposts%2F10155810670936964&width=500″ width=”500″ height=”783″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border: none; overflow: hidden;” scrolling=”no”]
Capri Sun’s website acknowledged the reports of mold, saying that although it was rare, it was possible for food mold to grow inside contents of preservative-free drinks if the pouch is punctured or compromised in any way from their facilities to a grocery store. To prevent mold in pouches, the company are investing millions of dollars in their packaging, quality, and manufacturing processes to make their product stronger and avoid to an air leak. So yes, maybe you should constantly check the Capri Sun website.
The company recommended parents gently squeeze their child’s Capri Sun pouch to check for leaks before serving them to their children. Any punctured pouches or leaky Capri Sun pouch should be discarded immediately to avoid any accidents. Hardwick’s Facebook post has been shared more than 80,000 times and has over 5,000 comments, with parents expressing their worries in future similar issues of mold. Maybe they need to make containers of preservative-free juice drinks or have clear bottom pouches.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published on November 12, 2018.