Mysterious Death of 21 Teens Tied To Toxic Chemical From Bar

Authorities found the toxic chemical in the bodies of the deceased, most of whom were teens.

Authorities found the toxic chemical methanol in the bodies of 21 individuals — mostly teens — who died last month at a bar in South Africa, officials from the country’s government said during a press conference on Tuesday.

Methanol in the blood presented in all the individuals who died on the morning of June 26. The Police Ministry, South African Police Service (SAPS) Department of Health and Provincial Government of the Eastern Cape all reported the findings.

The chemical is not typically in alcohol for consumption — although it is sometimes in moonshine. The chemical is colorless but has a strong scent. Even small amounts of the liquid can lead to death.

Now, investigators are trying to find out whether the levels of methanol were high enough to have killed them, officials said at the press conference. Results from the final toxicology report are expected soon.

The individuals hailed from Eastern Cape, according to the video announcement. They died of what was initially mysterious circumstances at the Enyobeni Tavern, which is located in East London’s Scenery Park. Most of the teens were between 13 and 17 years old, ABC News reported.

“The venue was packed. Entrance was free… and free alcohol was also being dished out. We started drinking and having fun with others,” a 16-year-old girl anonymously told BBC News. “They were dropping like flies.”

Authorities reportedly found the bodies of the deceased on floors, chairs and tables in the bar.

Police, as well as liquor license authorities, quickly launched investigations, according to ABC News.

Punishment could be coming swiftly

South African police said last week that they had arrested three suspects. Those arrests include the tavern’s owner — as part of their investigation into the incident, according to BBC News. Police reportedly detained the suspects over allegations that they sold alcohol to children under at 18.

What do you think?

-1 Points
Upvote Downvote

4 Comments

Leave a Reply
    • i been drinkin’ three day old diet coke i left in my cup holder in my HOT car … Some COKE guy at walmart told me this stuff was rat poison … i told him ” so , that’s why they quit tryin’ to gnaw me ‘ … may be the heat cooks out the methanol … oh , well ; dead again … darn …

  1. i been drinkin’ three day old diet coke i left in my cup holder in my HOT car … Some COKE guy at walmart told me this stuff was rat poison … i told him ” so , that’s why they quit tryin’ to gnaw me ‘ … may be the heat cooks out the methanol … oh , well ; dead again … darn …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

CDC Tells Cruise Ships To Stop Reporting On COVID, ‘Manage Their Own’ Programs

Anya Taylor-Joy, Star of ‘Queen’s Gambit,’ Got Married In Secret Wedding